08 March 2013

The Best Banana-Coconut Muffins Ever

If I could make one quick bread ever, it would be banana bread...and I do make it a lot. Sometimes I'll even buy more bananas than I know I'll be able to eat (especially if they're on sale), just for a good excuse. As a result, I've done quite a bit of experimentation with the recipe over the years. I thought this was the pinnacle of banana bread...but that was until now. These muffins are flavorful, tender, and moist. The coconut adds a nice texture. They're indulgent without being sinful. Oh, yeah, and they're vegan. I'll call these the "So Good You Wouldn't Know They Were Vegan if I Didn't Just Tell You" Banana Muffins.

I use a mix of flours here, all whole grain, as inspired by the carrot muffin recipe in the Sprouted Kitchen cookbook. It's definitely worth it. You can swap out the whole wheat flour for your favorite gluten-free mix if you want, and you can always just use 2 cups of one flour - but I warn you, it won't be quite as good. Refer to here for making your own almond flour. If you hate coconut, don't let that deter you from making this recipe - just omit it. You'll love these; I know this is the recipe I'll be using from now on. So go out and buy that huge bunch of bananas, then forget about them for a week or so. You won't regret it.


Ingredients
1 cup whole wheat (or spelt) flour
1/2 cup oat bran
1/2 cup almond meal
2 Tbsp wheat germ
1 tsp baking soda
pinch salt
1/2 cup slivered or chopped almonds
1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
2 Tbsp chia seeds + 6 Tbsp water
3 medium bananas, mashed
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted

Directions
1. Combine chia seeds with water in a small dish. Set aside for 15-20 min, or until a gel forms.
2. Combine dry ingredients (flour, oat bran, almond meal, baking soda, salt, almonds, coconut) in a medium mixing bowl.
3. Whisk together mashed bananas, honey, coconut oil, and chia seed gel. Add to dry ingredients, stirring just until combined.
4. Divide batter into 10-12 paper-lined muffin cups. Top with extra coconut, if desired.
5. Bake at 350 degrees F for 20-25 min, or until golden and a toothpick inserted in center comes out mostly clean.
6. Transfer muffins to a wire rack and allow to cool completely (if you have the patience).
7. Store in an airtight container for 4-5 days at room temperature, or freeze for 1-2 months.

Makes 10 larger or 12 smaller muffins

1 comment:

  1. I do want to make almond flour, thanks for that. I love coconut, I might have to try this out post whole 30!

    ReplyDelete