16 October 2012

Kidney Beans & Quinoa with Acorn Squash: Squish n' Squash Revisited

Around autumn, a perennial dish at home while I was growing up was one that we dubbed "Squish n' Squash." My mom roasted acorn squash halves, melted a smidgen of butter and a teaspoon of brown sugar in their center, then served them alongside kielbasa sausage. I'm told I gave the dish its name when I was very young - although I'm not sure what thought process led me to name the sausage "squish"...because it's squishy? 

When I was younger, of course, I gladly ate the sausage with a small pool of ketchup, and choked down only as much of the squash as my mom required before leaving the table. Since then, I've learned to appreciate the flavor of squash, lending itself so well to both sweet and savory adornments. I also understand why my mom wanted me to eat it, because squash is chock-full of fiber, vitamins and minerals. I still enjoy a good meal of squish n' squash, but kielbasa sausage isn't exactly something you should eat with any frequency. So I set out to find a healthier alternative that captures the flavor of kielbasa without requiring some fake processed soy sausage.

What I came up with seems to be a pretty good alternative (and it's vegan!). Red kidney beans and quinoa, both excellent sources of plant-based protein and fiber, combine with a good helping of garlic and paprika, with a little fresh marjoram to recreate the seasonings in kielbasa. Scoop that into your squash that's been roasted to a delicious tenderness with a touch of maple syrup, and you've got the makings of a good, healthy, satisfying meal. You'll almost, almost, forget about the kielbasa sausage.




Ingredients
3/4 cup quinoa, rinsed
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups water or veggie broth
2 cups cooked red kidney beans
1 tsp paprika
2 Tbsp fresh marjoram (1 tsp dry)
freshly ground pepper, to taste
2 acorn or "heart of gold" squash, rinsed, halved and seeded
4 tsp maple syrup
olive oil to drizzle

Directions
1. Place squash halves, cut side down, on a baking sheet. Roast in a 375 degree F oven for 30-40 min, or until squash flesh is tender. Turn squash over, lightly drizzle with olive oil, and put a teaspoon of maple syrup into each squash half. Return to oven and bake for an additional 5-10 min.
2. While squash is roasting, add quinoa and garlic to a medium saucepan. Toast over medium heat until quinoa starts to crackle, then add water (or broth) and salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, until liquid is absorbed.
3. Add cooked kidney beans, paprika, marjoram, and ground pepper to quinoa and cook over medium-low heat until cooked through, about 5-10 min.
4. Scoop bean mixture into each squash half, or serve on a plate alongside squash.
Serves 4

3 comments:

  1. I picked up an acorn squash at the Farmer's Market last week and have been thinking about what to do with it. I will be trying this! I am not sure I can get Frank to eat it though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shauna, where do you find the quinoa in your grocery store? I am sure we have different stores, but i can never find it!?!
    this recipe looks delicious. I like using the fruits/veggies in season, cheaper and more readily available!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, we have a really nice natural foods store in town here, where I get a lot of my bulk non-perishable goods, including quinoa (the bulk stuff is often cheaper pound-for-pound than it is at the grocery store, and a lot of it is organic too!). If you don't have anything like that, my general go-to grocery store is Meijer (are they in Erie?), and I'm pretty sure that the quinoa can be found in the "healthy foods" or "gluten-free" section. The other place it may be is with the rice. If it's nowhere to be found in your standard store and it's not too inconvenient, I'd shop around at another grocery store.

      I completely agree with eating produce in season; in fact, I picked up some more heart-of-gold squashes from the farmer's market this weekend at $1 a piece, a steal for their size and nutritional value. Plus, they're so delicious when they're fresh and local!

      Delete